Wednesday, April 30, 2008

The Birthday Party

http://rapidshare.com/files/111800406/B.Party_-_friend.rar




The Birthday Party formed out of the ashes of the Australian band The Boys Next Door. Like many other Aussies they moved to London in the early '80s and were pretty successful and highly influential. I saw them play with Bauhaus and Subway Sect around 1983. They were fronted by wild man Nick Cave, but what sticks in my mind most was the bassist Tracy Pew, wearing a cowboy hat and moustache. He gyrated around like he was f...ing his bass. My brother Andrew also went to the gig, which was the only one he ever went to. I tried to bootleg it, but the bouncers took my tape player and also confiscated the laces of my steel toe capped boots. This is there first single recorded whilst still in Australia, but interestingly they had already signed to 4AD Records.

No comments: